Friday, April 11, 2014

In re. Warrior

(This is my original writing, culled together, and originally posted on CagesideSeats.com) 


I figured I'd pile on with Warrior. He was my first favorite wrestler, and I had this bizarre moment on Monday night as he was welcomed onto Raw when I was just as excited, just as psyched, and could remember distinctly the last time, in 1996, I eagerly awaited the return of Warrior.

When I was a freshman in college, I shlepped out to the Island on the LIRR to hear Warrior speak.

He gave a big ol' speech to College Republicans or Federalists or whomever about how "queering don't make the world work", "the founders had balls so big they dug trenches when they walked" and "philosophy isn't fake, like rocket science. It's real, like concrete." Nobody really cared.

Once his speech was over, Warrior turned around and gave out a snort and he was suddenly The Ultimate Warrior. For the next hour, he completely candidly answered every question about his career and his life, including his steroid abuse (he couldn't get over 300 lbs, and if you wanted to be a serious bodybuilder/wrestler in the 80's, you took steroids to get over your natural limitations. That's just how it was.)

Afterwards, and this is the really fucking cool part, he actually talked to everybody who waited to speak to him. Not to shake your hand, ask your name and take a picture, but spoke to you for a real conversation. I waited probably 45 minutes, and it was clearing out so I went a little longer. We talked about Nietzsche (hey, I was a freshman!)

Yes, his political views were odious, but he really was all about motivating people. Yes, he was supposedly awful to fans in his heyday, but he couldn't have been better in retirement. Things change, people evolve. I'm glad he made peace before he died.

I shat on Warrior's promo from Raw because I thought the mask was ridiculous, his delivery was poor, and he just didn't look or feel or seem like Warrior anymore. I hadn't really paid attention to the words. He gave his own eulogy, for the gimmick and for the man. I regret that now, because this was a sick man doing his best to recreate my childhood hero in an honest and faithful way, and because I didn't even pay attention to what he was saying. I was too busy paying attention to the aesthetics. In fairness, aesthetics were what defined Warrior during his prime.

This is the first time a celebrity ever really upset me, and I finally get what Baby Boomers felt when Mickey Mantle passed away.

I'm also taking the liberty of including a link to this:http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/6/13/3081645/css-pro-wrestling-tournament-match-3-gorgeous-george-vs-14-ultimate#105210931 (opens in new window)

It's what I consider to be my best, and it is certainly my favorite, comment I've ever made at cSs. Keep in mind that it was summer of 2012, but it delineates how I perceive Warrior's career, and especially how I think he really did get short shrift prior to making peace with Vince McMahon. More than anything, it shows us what Bruno Sammartino, Bret Hart, and Warrior himself were wise enough to know: if you care about your legacy in the pro wrestling business, then you must be willing to find peaceful terms with Vince McMahon for it to be shared.The returns are early, but it seems like Vince will actually be a good custodian for Warrior's legacy, a fact made all the more remarkable when you consider the DVD produced nearly a decade ago at the nadir of their relation.

If the Reality Era has indeed kicked off, then The Ultimate Warrior's farewell address may well be looked at as a moment that embodies it, either in tandem with or even moreso than the way in which Brock Lesnar ended the Streak of an older athlete who happened to be The Undertaker. In that promo, Warrior made it clear that the fans drive the product, and Warrior made it clearer than ever that there's a huge distinction between the public kayfabe character and the private man.

Still, I'll always believe. *snort*

No comments:

Post a Comment