Thursday, March 6, 2014

Intro: Chris

This is my first post and it begins at the end: take off your coat and pull up a chair.

I claim no particular expertise, save what experiences I’ve gone through already or will go through in the days/weeks/years to come.  The posts in this blog are the opinions of a man (myself) who claims no expertise save what experiences he has gone through already or will go through in the days/weeks/years to come.  Some of these posts will be funny and some will be serious and some will undoubtedly be introspective of my own views and why I come to those views in the first place.  I will write about domestic policy and foreign policy and contemporary culture and political theory and science fiction and dark comedy and death and fear and relationships and the sounds my niece or nephew make when they play with dinosaur toys, because these are the things I think about and have come to some kind of opinion.

Right now, at the start, there are only two of us writing on this blog (the un-royal “we” my comrade spoke of in his intro) but I hope for that to grow and evolve.  Some of the best times of my life, when I felt the most alive, were when I sitting at a table with friends in a dingy bar and we were building/de-constructing the world in our heads.  We’d agree and disagree, fight, get angry, get personal, get profound, ramble, get quiet, and never come to a real conclusion, especially after the fifth or sixth round.  But we forced each other to speak and to have an opinion, even if only to shout down the opinion of another.  The world right here and right now has become too big/dangerous/complex /small for us to not even accidentally have opinions and add to the discussion. 

So, two wannabe wonks have made a blog and are going to post links to other articles and their opinions.  Them’s the facts.  But I don’t see it like that.  In my mind, I’m sitting at a table in a dimly-lit bar.  I want to talk and, as a man who claims no expertise save my own experience, if I convince you of anything it would be purely because I seem to be right.  The only way you’ll find out is if you join the conversation.  

So, once again, I ask you: take off your coat and pull up a chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment