Sunday, March 9, 2014

The IWC IRL




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_professional_wrestling_terms#Smark

I... am a smark.  That means I spend much of my waking time thinking about, reading about, and commenting about pro wrestling.  Awful rumor websites called "dirtsheets"?  I'm there first thing in the morning.  /r/SquaredCircle for a new AMA?  In.  

The Internet Wrestling Community (IWC) is a small, dedicated one.  Consequently, meeting another smark in real life is a wonderful bit of serendipity.  After a quick secret handshake of references, conversation will ensue and it. will. not. stop.  Moreover, I've found that smarks are quick to introduce each other to all of their smark friends.  Like any movement, we understand the strength of numbers.  How else will we get Daniel Bryan into the main event of Wrestlemania XXX? 

Last night, my girlfriend, a fellow smark's girlfriend, and poor, poor Chris were subject to smark bonding.  They wanted to be like normal young people and experience the bonhomie of drinks, dancing, and frank discussions of sex. The smark and I wanted to discuss sex, too: specifically, sex involving "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

So, there we were at Eastern Bloc.  My girlfriend?  Texting away.  Anonymous smark #2's girlfriend?  the same.  Chris?  Finding convenient armrests.  

The smarks?   Feverishly debating TNA while refreshing our Twitter feeds to read a "livetweet" of WCW Great American Bash 1989.  It was all about TNA for us, too.  TNA Impact Wrestling, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment